Friday, January 06, 2006

One Week and Counting.......

Dylan Chillin'

Can't believe we passed the one week anniversary of Dylan's birth yesterday! It already seems like so long ago that I was in the hospital pushing with all my might. This week has been an overwhelming mix of emotions, test of physical strength, and ultimately, a time to reflect and ponder the real purpose of life but I think Dave and I are doing a great job. I think those first few days I experienced the ultimate adrenaline rush. How else could I have survived with that irregular sleep? The nurses were right, I feel 500% more confident in my abilities to care for Dylan than I did those first couple days. He's so fragile and precious and when he smiles at me or looks into my eyes, I can't believe WE created this little person.

I'm recovering fairly well considering... I was able to escape an episiotomy with just a second degree tear but between breastfeeding and that, you could say... I feel "jacked" up!! I can't wait to be in one piece again. My mom arrived Sunday to help with cooking and nursing me back to health. Dave took this first week off work to help me adjust to this insane schedule. We are basically feeding every 2-3 hrs followed by a burp session, diaper change or 2, and then possibly some sort of entertainment for Dylan if he can't fall asleep.

We had our first health issue with Dylan yesterday. We noticed he had eye boogers but only on the left eye and then it started to ooze and crust every few hrs so we called the nurse and made an appt to see the doc in the morning. Found out it was just a clogged tear duct and that it is quite common. Babies should resolve the condition by 4-6 months of age. Dr. Oro prescribed eye drops and suggested we massage his duct and continue our warm wipes. By the way, I love our pediatrician's office, Altos Pediatrics Associates in Los Altos Hills. The area is awesome and I keep telling Dave we got to some how find a way to move into that area even though houses must begin at over 1.5 mil. Sigh! After we win the lottery i guess :)

1 comment:

jude said...

after you win the world poker series Jen!!! We'll see you there ;)