Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Technology == fun

Jen is writing the birth story but is taking her sweet time. I wanted to write it, but I guess I'm just a supporting actor in it ;) . HOWEVER, I wanted to share my geeky anecdote...

A couple of weeks b4 Dylan was due Jen and I got new cell phones. I got my super duper SUV of a phone - the LG VX9800 - it's bigger than the avg phone but it's got everything but the kitchen sink of a feature in it. I fiddle with it whenever I have idle time - sitting in a waiting room, during commercials... Anyways, about 10 minutes after Dylan was born while we were still in the delivery room with Jen recovering and the nurse weighing the baby, etc... I snapped a picture of Dylan and Jen on my new cell phone and MMS'd it to all of my friends... My phone only took 10 contacts at a time so by the 3rd set or so the nurse was like "Father can you help bla bla bla" and I was like "I know this is geeky and I aplogize, but I just need to send this out real quick...". I finished up and then helped the nurse. She probably thought that i'm an idiot. I would.

About an hour or so later after Jen, Dylan and I moved downstairs to the maternity ward, I was walking back to our room when I saw 2 of our friends (Van and Lenora) standing outside our room with balloons and stuff. I was like "WTF r u guys doin' here?!". They got my picture message, called the hospital and got our room number and headed on down. That was freakin' cool.

The funniest part of this story has to do w/ Jen and my brother Bryan who has been staying with us. He had just gotten back from Japan two days b4 Dylan's birth and was pretty jet lagged. When Jen and I left that night / morning around 4:30am to the hospital he was passed out. On the way out I asked Jen if we should wake him and tell him that we were heading to the hospital but she said 'no' (since we thought it might be a false alarm). As soon as we got to the hospital and found out that it was the real deal we started calling Bryan out of excitement and to try to get him to be the point person who could tell Jen's parents, my brother and my parents that the birth was about to go down. We called his cell and the house phone at least 10 times but he was in a comatose like sleep and kept on asleepin'. When he finally woke up around noon the next day, he said he rolled over and looked at his cell phone. He saw a picture on the phone and thought "who's that?". Then it dawned on him... "holy shizznit they had the baby!"


The MMS heard around the world


Ha ha. Really though... I sent the picture message not to be a geek but out of excitement of wanting to tell the world that Dylan was here. That was the best feeling... ahh now back to diaper changing!

No comments: