Monday, March 09, 2009

Steady Now

Time is flying by these days..... the twins are technically 3 wks and 2 days old! We hope they will come home around 38 wks so I'm still counting by adjusted age which means they beginning their 35th week tomorrow!

We seem to be "last weeks news" now that they are completely stable and moving on a normal preemie track. A couple ways to tell your babies are getting better: 1) less nursing attention. Jared and Blake use to each have their personal 1 on 1 nurse 24/7 but are now sharing a nurse, sometimes even with another baby. I was also getting used to the nursing attention and now I find I'm having to help myself to footstools and nursing pillows. boo-hoo! I'm often wondering, Hello! Where is everyone? They must have gone on break? 2) less wires and equipment. Blake has been moved to a smaller, less complex isolette bed and Jared will be moving shortly. Both have nasal canulas for minimum oxygen and feeding tubes through the nose for breast milk and fortifier. Both had their PICC (IV) lines taken out as well.

I'm spending about 2hrs a day at the NICU. I recreational breastfeed each and spend time cradling them and inspecting them (trying to differentiate the two). The past couple days I'm also cuddling them chest to chest so they can hear my heartbeat. This is the closest reminder of being in the womb. I'm also changing diapers (poopy ones too) and taking their temperatures.

Breastfeeding is coming along slowly. They both latch, suck for a bit and draw out some milk but they just don't have the capacity to swallow. It then results in them pulling off and sometimes desaturating (a dip in their oxygen level or heart rate). The nipple shield has helped quite a bit and in due time, they'll get the hang of it. They are starting to gain weight now that they are on full feeds every 3hrs. As of today, Blake is 3lbs 11oz and Jared is 3lbs 8oz!!

2 comments:

Annemarie said...

LOL! You're so right, you're not interesting anymore, try getting a hold of a doctor in the next weeks! But I'm sure you'll get really good at "stealing" footchairs and screens...
Great to hear they're getting chubby!
;-)

jude said...

Great to hear about the awesome progress of the twins :)